It sometimes happens to most of us that we change the password/pattern on our phone and then are unable to recall the new password. There are three ways you can go about to try and unlock your device if you have forgotten your password. The first two procedure require you to be logged in to your Android device using your Google account with an active internet connection. The last one is device dependent and may not work on some of the android devices.
Procedure 1: Use Google Account
- When you try to unlock your device, you will find a “Forgot Pattern/Password” option your screen. Click on the button.
- After clicking, a screen appears to enter your Google account email id and password.
- On successful sign-in, you will be redirected to your Google Account and asked to choose a new pin/pattern for your device.
- Do the needful by following the procedure and you will be good to go.
See Also: Install APK File On Your Android Device
Procedure 2: Use Android Device Manager (Find My Device)
- Go to android.com/find from your Laptop or other Android device. You can also go to the Android device Manager of some other Android device.
- Lock your device using the device manager. It will ask you to enter a new pin to lock your device. Enter a new pin.
- Now unlock your device using the new pin.
Sometimes it does not ask for a new pin and just locks your device using the original pin/pattern.
Procedure 3: Hard reset your device.
- Power off your device.
- Turn the device on by holding the power button and volume button simultaneously. For some devices, there may be other combinations like power with home button, volume with both home, power with home + volume button etc. If one does not work, you can try the other combinations.
- If you are successful, a screen will appear. Select “System Recovery” using the volume key. Some devices directly boot in to system recovery mode.
- In the system recovery mode, you will get option for “wipe/factory reset”. Select the option using volume keys.
- After finishing, reboot the device to start afresh. You will find your home screen after the device boots up. Now you can set a new password.
Procedure 4: Crash the Lock Screen UI
This procedure may not work for all devices. Only devices with Android 5.0-5.1.1 can be unlocked with this hack.
- Tap on the Emergency Call option on your lock screen.
- On the dialler type 10 asterisk (*). Copy them and start pasting on the same dialler. Repeat copying and pasting till you can paste no more.
- Now head back to the lock screen and open the camera shortcut.
- Go to Settings. This will ask for password.
- Now paste the copied asterisk (*) here till you can paste no longer. This will crash the UI and provide you access to the rest of the device’s interface.
Error or Missing Information? Please Let us know